RaspberryBoy – BuildLog #7

Share:Tweet about this on TwitterShare on RedditPin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on LinkedInShare on Google+

Projects Updates

To speed up the building process and to facilitate some steps I had to change the components a little bit. I changed the micro SD solution and the sound card solution I had in mind.

I wanted to connect a micro SD slot (from Adafruit) to a portion of the game board inside the cartridge to use a micro SD with the system installed and remove it like it was an actual game. After trying this step I founded that is very difficult to achieve a stable connection with all the pins, then I decided to buy a board made just for this purpose.

Same with the audio board, I planned to use and external usb to filter the audio coming from the Raspberry pins but the wiring and the final audio results are very unstable, so I decided to buy a special sound board (the tint board on the photo) that does just that.

Both components were very cheap by the way. In addition to that, I bought a mounting piece to hold the screen in place produced by sudomod after watching his video that shows a special build made only from custom parts. So I switched for clean and fast solutions.

 

Power Circuit

The system is powered with a 2500 mAh rechargeable battery (similar to a smartphone battery) connected to a power board (Adafruit PowerBoost) that changes the battery via usb port mounted in a modified hole in the case, and when the battery is charged, disconnects it. In this way, I can safely change the battery and disconnect the charging cable whenever I want without power “jumps”.

For wiring reason I will create a small “dummy” board connected to the power board to create a common ground and common power from which the components can be powered , in this way I will avoid too many cables on the power board and avoid overheating.

The power board has to be enabled by the on/off switch, on the left top of the case (like the original GameBoy). I had to use the original switch from the GameBoy and I had only to figure out how it works with a multimeter. Once the wiring too was done I mounted up the switch in the back case with (a lot of) hot glue.

The power board has 2 state leds that indicate whether the system is battery powered or charging the battery. With the previous case, that was transparent green, I planned not to use any method to bring the led light outside the case, because it was transparent. But since this time the case is solid black I had to use some pieces of optical fiber to bring the lights out. I will have to make some tiny holes in the case I have to put on side of the optical fiber, while the other end is on top of the led. The final result is something like this (with only two lights).

If you like retro console building check out this serie of posts in which I tell my process on creating the RaspberryBoy. HERE!

 

I define myself as a creative developer.

I define myself as a creative developer.